Thursday, September 14, 2017

Paul Roach in NJ 2008

Paul Roach in NJ 2008

A Blog A Day 2017: Blog #14

Thursday, September 14th

#TBT Paul Roach at the 2008 USBA Jenks Pro

Paul Roach calling out waves from the each at Jenks!

  In May 2008, I flew from New Jersey (United States) to Los Cabos (Mexico) for Manny Vargas' Cabo Freak Fest. During my layover at Pheonix Sky Harbor International Airport, the airline I was flying on (US Airways) announced that they had overbooked the connecting flight and were offering a $500 USD flight voucher to anyone willing to give up their seat and take a later flight.  I went up to the counter and asked when the next flight was.  "The next flight to Los Cabos will be in three hours."  "I'll give up my seat."  A $500 voucher in exchange for a three hour wait?  Totally worth it!  I claimed my voucher, my new ticket for the next flight, and went to grab lunch.

Manny Vargas and Paul Roach crusin' the 2008 USBA Jenks Pro.

  Cabo Freak Fest in Cabo San Lucas, Mexico was, as promised, five days of non-stop bodyboarding and good times!  At one point, I found myself sitting at the pool bar of the hotel where we were all staying. Paul Roach and I were enjoying an easy-going conversation over a couple of cold beers. An idea popped into my head, and I pitched it.  I offered Roach the flight voucher and a place to stay in New Jersey.  All he had to do was agree to come to the 2008 USBA Jenks Pro in late August, make a couple of promotional appearances, sign some autographs, and take some photos with the groms.  He didn't need much convincing. We shook hands. "DEAL!"

(From Left to Right) Jason Bitzer, Ryan Rhodes, Dan Worley, Brian Stoehr, and David Phillips signing autographs at the 2008 USBA Jenks Pro.  Hey, wait a minute. Where's Roach?!?

  During the Jenks Pro, Manny Vargas and Paul Roach stayed with me.  I was stoked to have them both in New Jersey for the comp, but it was also a little stressful.  Trying to work as Event Coordinator, tend to my guests, arrange promotional appearances, and be ready to compete in the Men's Pro division I felt like I was flying around at Mach 10 with my hair on fire! One of the promotional events I lined up was a rider meet and greet at the surf shop I managed, 3rd Ave Surf Shop.  We were 30 minutes late for the promo. Manny's looking at me saying, " Don't stress. It's always good to be fashionably late. It gets the groms more anxious."  Meanwhile, I'm getting phone calls from the USBA Tour Director, "Where are you guys?  You were supposed to be here half an hour ago! The kids are freaking out!"  Manny was right, though. When we finally arrived, the kids went NUTS!!!  Even crazier still, when Roach gave away a free bodyboard he had kids literally jumping hurdles and the winner crammed himself into a plastic storage tote filled with ice water!!!

Roach and me at the 2008 USBA Jenks Pro.

  Later that night, when we got home, we had barely walked in the door when my friend Catalano called me on my cell phone.  "There's a beer pong tournament tonight.  You guys wanna go?" I turned to MV and Roach and asked if they were interested.  Their eyes lit up. Roach looked at Manny and said, "I've never played beer pong before.  I couldn't tell if he was joking or being serious, but I told Catalano, "I can't.  I have to be up at 5am.  Manny and Paul are down to go, though."  "I'll swing by and pick them up in about five minutes."  Just like that, Manny V and Roach were back out the door and off to a beer pong tournament. I went to sleep.  I don't know what time they got back to the house but, when my alarm went off at 5am and I went down stairs, Manny and Roach were out cold in the living room.  I had no choice but to wake up Manny. He was the beach announcer for the Jenks Pro.  We both, officially, had a job to do. Roach? I let him sleep.  As we slowly made our way through the summer traffic on Highway 71, on our way to the contest site, Manny gave me the good news.  "Roach won the beer pong tournament last night." "Really?!?" Then, I burst out laughing.  "HAHAHAHAHAAA!!! THAT'S FUCKING CLASSIC!!!"  After hearing that, I kind of wish I had gone with them to the beer pong tournament.  Even almost a decade later, I can't believe I missed that.  Still, I'm stoked I was able to get Roach to come over to the east coast and cruise NJ zones during the contest. Whether chasing waves in Cabo or running around for the Jenks Pro, hanging out with Manny Vargas and Paul Roach is never boring!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment

STACT app

STACT app #STACTapp Dowload the STACT app today!   The STACT app, developed by Boardscore Inc., provides comprehensive information ...