Friday, September 1, 2017

My Bodyboarding Origins Story

My Bodyboarding Origins Story

A Blog A Day 2017: Blog #1

Friday, September 1st


  No matter who you are, if you bodyboard, you have an "Origins Story."  Whether you are 9x World Champion Mike Stewart or a middle-aged parent that just started "boogie boarding" because your kids wanted to go to the beach or a stoked grom on summer vacation, some way or another, something got you started.  In that respect, I'm no different. Here's my story...

1987 Turbo Z. Image taken from www.vintagebodyboards.com/

PART I, SPRING 1988: The First Board I Ever Rode

  I was 13 years old. On a relatively warm spring day, I found myself hanging out at Manasquan Inlet surfing beach (New Jersey) with a bunch of my class mates. One of them had this crazy looking bodyboard with him.  Weird shape, vinyl deck, crazy graphics, and skeg boxes in the bottom(?!?). It was a Turbo Z. For an extended amount of time, I just sat on the beach being quiet, keeping to myself, and watching people surfing and bodyboarding out in the water.  The more I watched, the more I wanted to try.  Finally, I asked, "Hey, can I try your bodyboard?" "Yeah, sure."
  Without a wetsuit of any kind, the water felt really cold. Also, without swim fins, paddling out felt a little clumsy.  Trying to paddle into a wave felt even more awkward. After a couple of failed attempts, though, I finally caught one.  From that very first wave, I was immediately hooked!  I took right to it, trimming down the line (just like I had seen all of the other surfers and bodyboarders doing).  I felt like I was flying!  It was such a rush!  I didn't last long, out in the chilly water, without a wetsuit but with just a few waves the fire had been lit.


1989 Morey Boogie Mach 7-7. Image taken from www.vintagebodyboards.com/


PART II, SUMMER 1988: The First Board I Ever Owned

  When the school year ended and went on summer recess, my mother sent me down to Florida to spend a month living with my father, stepmother, and two younger brothers.  We did a lot of really cool things while I was there, including going to Disney World. My father did a lot of cool things for me while I was visiting, but there was one thing that was life-altering in the best possible way. He bought me my first bodyboard, a Morey Boogie Mach 7-7.  I rode that board to death over the next two years!!!  That's the board I learned to do 360's and el rollos with.  Just thinking about that board now, it puts a smile on my face!


1990 Scott Hawaii Double Edge. Image taken from www.vintagebodyboards.com/

PART III, SUMMER 1990: The First Board I Ever Bought For Myself

  I had been saving up my money for what seemed like forever. At this point in time, one of my favorite professional bodyboarders was Hawaiian Hauoli Reeves. Photos of his projected aerials in Bodyboarding Magazine had me thinking, "I want to ride like HIM!" I remember seeing Hauoli in an ad for Scott Hawaii Bodyboards, and that's when I made up my mind. I wanted one of those boards. I found a surf shop in the area that carried the Scott Boards and, when I finally had enough money, I rode my bike to that shop and bought it...a brand new Doubled Edge with a royal blue deck and white rails!  I WAS SOOO STOKED!!! When I got home, went to my room, closed the door, turned on the radio, and went to work installing a leash and waxing the board so that it was ready to go the next morning.  I could barely sleep that night. I was so anxious to get in the water and try out my new board...the same board I saw one of my bodyboarding heroes riding in the magazine...and it did not disappoint!

  So, what's your bodyboarding "Origin Story?"

3 comments:

  1. Come across your blog while searching for some images to send my daughter (i'm teaching her now). it was so nice to read your posts and get back to memory lane... as you said: guess no one can forget the origins of this sport. I started with a very modest and simple Morey Boogie Aussie! Progressed in ths sport and a good couple years later took surfboard instead. After many years of surfing got accidently back to Boogie...and I'm stoked as I was 16 again! Congratulations on your blog! Keep Boogie alive

    ReplyDelete
  2. Adding a few lines: current board MACH 7.7 1989 edition :-) Still rocks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recently rented a boat from Sunnyside Marina for a bachelor party, and it was the highlight of the weekend! The staff was professional and accommodating, and they even helped us plan our route for the day. The boat was spacious and comfortable, with plenty of room for our group of guys. We had a blast cruising around the lake, swimming, and grilling out on the boat. I highly recommend Sunnyside Marina for anyone looking for a fun and unique bachelor party activity. Lake Tahoe boat rental

    ReplyDelete

STACT app

STACT app #STACTapp Dowload the STACT app today!   The STACT app, developed by Boardscore Inc., provides comprehensive information ...