Tuesday, October 17, 2017

Pat Caldwell Still Charging in His 50's

Pat Caldwell is still charging heavy Sandy's in his 50's...

Pat Caldwell at Sandy Beach on the south side of Oahu! Photo: JJ Caldwell.

...and it has me STOKED!!! Bodyboarding pioneer Pat Caldwell, the creator of the el rollo, was one of my bodyboarding heroes back when I was a grom, and he's someone I still look up to and hold in high regard.  Having met Pat several years ago (at Sandy's, no less) and having the good fortune of being able to touch base with him, occasionally, when I have bodyboard history-related questions is just one more example of how lucky I feel to be able to have met and befriended some of my childhood idols.  With that said, guys like Pat and Jay Reale and Mike Stewart continue to inspire me as a bodyboarder.  These guys, all in their 50's now, continue to redefine what is possible.  They're still charging, still ripping, and I WANT TO BE JUST LIKE THEM!!!  I have joked, for many years, that I plan on bodyboarding until the day I die.  It's really not a joke, though.  I want to continue to push myself so that I'm still chasing waves in my 50's and 60's...maybe even my 70's if I'm lucky!  For now, I'm doing my best to keep pushing myself forward through my 40's and, regardless of my age, as long as I'm still breathing you'll find me out in the water!  Thanks, Pat, for continuing to be an ageless inspiration!  Keep charging...YEEEWWW!!!

Still charging after all these years! Photo: JJ Caldwell


No comments:

Post a Comment

STACT app

STACT app #STACTapp Dowload the STACT app today!   The STACT app, developed by Boardscore Inc., provides comprehensive information ...